In our second episode, Jack and Davin discuss the no-hitter thrown in San Diego by Dock Ellis on Friday, June 12, 1970. The crazy part of the story is that Dock was on LSD while pitching. LISTEN TO EPISODE 2 HERE.
- “Little Known Black History Fact: Dock Ellis” BY DL Chandler: https://blackamericaweb.com/2015/06/16/little-known-black-history-fact-dock-ellis/
- “Today is the 47th anniversary of Dock Ellis’ acid-fueled no-hitter” By Jon Taylor (Sports Illustrated): https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/06/12/dock-ellis-acid-no-hitter-pittsburgh-pirates-anniversary
- “Dock Ellis, All-Star Pitcher Who Overcame Longtime Addictions, Dies at 63” By Richard Goldstein (NY Times): http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/21/sports/baseball/21ellis.html?mcubz=3
- “Dock Ellis Pitched a No-Hitter on LSD?” Investigated by David Mikkelson of Snopes: http://www.snopes.com/sports/baseball/ellis.asp
- “The day Pittsburgh Pirates pitcher Dock Ellis threw a no-no while high on LSD” BY RHIANNON WALKER (The Undefeated): https://theundefeated.com/features/pittsburgh-pirates-pitcher-dock-ellis-threw-a-no-no-while-high-on-lsd/
- “No Mas Presents: Dock Ellis & The LSD No-No” by James Blagden: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=_vUhSYLRw14
- Quotes come from an interview with radio producers Donnell Alexander and Neille Ilel, who had recorded an interview with Ellis in which the former Pirate right hander gave a moment by moment account of June 12, 1970, the day he no-hit the San Diego Padres. Alexander and Ilels original four minute piece appeared March 29, 2008 on NPRs Weekend America.
- “The Long Strange Trip of Dock Ellis” By Patrick Hruby (ESPN Outside the Lines): http://www.espn.com/espn/eticket/story?page=dock-ellis
- “Dock Ellis in The Country of Baseball” By Donald Hall: https://books.google.com/books?id=S9AqrK2gCyEC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Dock+Ellis+biography+early+childhood&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwitiNHy5vzVAhVC4yYKHadADoIQ6AEIKDAA#v=onepage&q=Dock%20Ellis%20biography%20early%20childhood&f=false
- “Pirates’ Dock Ellis tells Senate of sickle disease”. Anchorage Daily News. Associated Press. October 27, 1971. p. 9. Retrieved July 25, 2012.
- “High Times” By McAlester, Keven (June 23, 2005). Houston Press: http://www.houstonpress.com/news/high-times-6549194
- Baseball-Reference.com “Dock Ellis”: https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/e/ellisdo01.shtml